Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Applying in Person

The personal appearance of the following applicants is required at the Consulate General:

  1. Those whose previous passport was issued more than 15 years ago
  2. Those who were under age 16 at the time of issuance of their last passport
  3. First time applicants
  4. Applicants who apply for replacement passports

Processing time is approximately a week from the day of submission.

Applicants must bring the following to the Consulate General:

Note on completing forms: Applicants must provide their social security number. If you do not have one, enter zeroes in the boxes. You should read form DS-82 very carefully before signing and dating it. Form DS-11 (PDF 745KB) should be signed before a consular officer.

Proof of Identity: Current identifying documents bearing your current name, signature and physical description or photograph. Examples: previous passport, foreign passport, driver's license, etc.


Please refer to the example. Photos must be:

  • identical;
  • recent (taken within the last six months);
  • approximately 2X2 inches (5X5 centimeters);
  • head size from chin to top of head: minimum 25mm (1 inch), maximum 35mm (1 3/8 inch);
  • full face, without a head covering;
  • color with a white, plain background

Application for Minors

For Minors under Age 16 you must establish proof of both citizenship and relationship. Previous U.S. passports are not acceptable as proof of relationship to the applying parent(s)/guardian(s).

Both parents of children under age 16 must sign form DS-11 at the Consulate General on behalf of the child applying for a U.S. passport and submit their signed passport/I.D. If one parent is unavailable to appear at the Consulate General, an original notarized statement in English consenting to the issuance of the minor's passport or notarized "Statement of Consent" Form DS-3053 (click here (PDF 166KB) for Greek version of Statement of Consent) obtained from the Passport Office of the Consulate General, and a notarized copy of the signed passport/I.D. of the non-appearing parent, must be submitted.

Proof of Parentage

Parents applying for a U.S. passport for a minor under age 16, should provide proof of parentage. Acceptable evidence of the child's relation to the parents is a certified copy of one of the following:

  • Certified U.S. Birth Certificate (with parents' names); or
  • Certified Foreign Birth certificate (Lixiarchiki Praxi Genniseos), (with parents' names) for children born in Greece; or
  • Family Registration Certification from the Mayor's Office (Pistopiitiko Oikogeniakis Katastasis), for children born in Greece or the U.S., who are registered with the Greek authorities; or
  • Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) (with parents' names); or
  • Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) (with parents' names); or
  • Adoption Decree (with adopting parents' names); or
  • Court Order establishing custody; or
  • Court Order establishing guardianship

For children under 16, please see: Special Requirements for Children Under Age 16.

Please note: if you are applying for the first passport for a child under the age of 18 who was born overseas, you must first report the child's birth. Please see the information on this website regarding "Consular Reports of Birth Abroad."

Replacing Lost or Stolen Passports

Report the loss/theft to the local police and obtain a police report. This can take a few days, so please plan accordingly. The police department may ask for the number of your passport. If you call our office, we can perhaps assist in locating this passport number.

What you need to replace your lost or stolen passport:

  1. Passport application (Form DS-11) in black ink only and Statement Regarding Lost Or Stolen Passport (DS-64). This form should be submitted along with the DS-11 Application for Passport and brought with you when you go in person to apply for a new passport if your previous passport has been lost or stolen.
  2. Proof of citizenship - One or more of the following:
    • previously issued passport
    • original U.S. birth certificate or copy certified by the issuing authority
    • Naturalization Certificate, if you obtained citizenship through naturalization
    • Consular Report (or certification) of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America
  3. Photographs
  4. Proof of Identity

Important Changes Regarding Return Of Passports

You must enclose a pre-paid return envelope for registered mail which you must purchase from a local post office (ΕΛΤΑ). The cost is 2.70 euro, payable by you at the post office. The envelope may contain up to two passports. If you prefer to have your passport returned by courier, please enclose a note to that effect, and provide your mobile phone number. The courier will be paid by you upon receipt of the passport.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.