You may renew your passport by mail or in person with a Form DS-82 (PDF 73.2KB) if you
- already have a passport that is not damaged and was valid for 10 years;
- received it within the past 15 years;
- were over age 16 when it was issued; and
- have the same name as on your passport, or you can legally document your name change.
Note on completing forms: Applicants must provide their social security number. If you do not have one, enter zeroes in the boxes. You should read form DS-82 very carefully before signing and dating it. Form DS-11 should be signed before a consular officer.
Documents to be presented with DS-82
- Proof of Identity: Current identifying documents bearing your current name, signature and physical description or photograph. Examples: previous passport, foreign passport, driver's license, etc.
- Photographs: Please send in 2 photographs, and refer to the example. The photographs must be:
- recent (taken within the last six months)
- approximately 2X2 inches (5X5 centimeters)
- head size from chin to top of head: minimum 25mm (1 inch), maximum 35mm (1 3/8 inch)
- full face, without a head covering
- color with a white, plain background
Evidence of Change of Name: If you have changed your name through marriage or by court order since your last passport, present a certified copy of your marriage certificate or certified court order and identifying documents in your new name. Marriage certificates and court orders should be certified by the issuing authority.
Renewal by Mail
When applying by mail, please do not send cash. In addition, the Consulate is not authorized to accept personal checks. The Embassy cannot be held responsible for cash received or for returning cash balances. Fees by mail may be paid by sending a bank check in Euros only, made out to the American Consulate. The check can be obtained at any Greek bank. For information on current fees, please see the Fees and Forms of Payment on this website.
Send your application, passport and required documents to:
American Consulate General Thessaloniki, 43 Tsimiski Street
54623 Thessaloniki Greece c/o Consular Passport/Citizenship Unit
Important Change in Passport Return Procedures
You must enclose a pre-paid return envelope for registered mail which you must purchase from a local post office (ΕΛΤΑ). The cost is 2.70 euro, payable by you at the post office. The envelope may contain up to two passports. If you prefer to have your passport returned by courier, please enclose a note to that effect, and provide your mobile phone number. The courier will be paid by you upon receipt of the passport.
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.