Messages for U.S. Citizens
Emergency messages are notices to American citizens registered with the U.S. Embassy distributed by the Embassy or volunteer citizen wardens.
While we make an effort to keep our website current based on the information which comes to our attention, other demonstrations besides those listed may occur.
The United States Embassy will begin posting information about upcoming demonstrations in Athens at our website
Demonstrations take place in Greece regularly in response to world events or local developments. We remind American citizens that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. American citizens are therefore urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations if possible, and to exercise caution if within the vicinity of any demonstrations. American citizens should stay current with media coverage of local events and be aware of their surroundings at all times.
- March 15, 2013 - Message to U.S. Citizens: Elimination of Thessaloniki Consular Services (PDF 44KB)
- February 15, 2013 - Message to U.S. Citizens: Change to Thessaloniki Consular Services (PDF 67KB)
- January 22, 2013 - Security Message: Update on the Explosion at the Mall Athens (PDF 75KB)
- January 20, 2013 - Emergency Message: Explosion at the Mall Athens (PDF 33KB)
- December 18, 2012 - Security Message: Temporary Closure of U.S. Consulate Thessaloniki
- November 16, 2012 - Security Message: Safety and Security in Greece (PDF 46KB)
- November 15, 2012 - Security Message: November 17th Demonstrations (PDF 37KB)
- October 2, 2012 - Voting Message for U.S. Citizens
- September 25, 2012 - Absentee Voter Registration Drive and Open House
- August 21, 2012 - Security Message for U.S. Citizens
- February 8, 2012 - Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Dangerour Flooding around Evros River in Northern Greece
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.